Friday, February 14, 2014

Minecraft Party (Happy Valentine's Day!)

It has been a LOOOONG while since i've posted something!  And it's also Valentine's Day today!  So Happy V-day everyone!  Today, I have a little post on what i've created for Ethan's 7th birthday party coming up.  I can't believe my baby boy is turning SEVEN!  I still can't wrap my mind around it.
Ethan is obsessed LOVES Minecraft lately.  And so for his birthday party I wanted to give him a Minecraft-themed party.  Last year was all Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so I had made masks from foams with ribbon for the favours among other little goodies.  This year I figured candy was the easiest thing to do.  It's also his first year that he's celebrating with just his classmates so he's super excited!  Anyway, thanks to Pinterest  I was inspired to create things for the goodies.  For anyone out there who have been planning or had planned a Minecraft-themed birthday party knows there's limited no Minecraft party supplies in stores to buy.  Unless  you ordered off Etsy for things.  But why buy when I can make it myself easily.  Thanks to Google I was able to find images for the 'diamonds', 'emeralds', 'red stones', etc to use for the tags in Photoshop.  As for the Minecraft font I used I downloaded it from dafont.com.
 
         

I created 3.25" (W)x 3" (H) tags that I folded in half and stapled it close over the opening of the 3x4" bags I found at Michael's.  As for candies I had used:

Diamonds - mini blue sour raspberries
Emeralds - apple-flavoured Jolly Ranchers (I didn't have enough & couldn't buy it in bulk so I added blue raspberry too)
Red Stones - cinnamon hearts 
Coal - black coloured fruit berries (I stood at Bulk Barn picking out only the black ones for 15 mins)
TNT - Twizzlers licorice
Sticks - pretzel sticks
Gold - Werther's Original candies

 
As for the goodie bags, I bought 2 for $1 green gift bags at Dollarama.  I then Googled a good-sized resolution image of a Minecraft creeper face which I edited in Photoshop & printed on heavy cardstock.  I cut the face out and used it as a stencil for the gift bag.  To protect the inside of the bag I slipped in a piece of sturdy cardstock inside.
I used a thick, black permanent marker to just color in the face onto the giftbag.
  

Ethan was sooo happy seeing these!  I think I spent too much on the candy & may have gone a little overboard with the whole Minecraft theme but he's turning 7 and that's a big deal!  I posted some sneak peeks of what I had created on Instagram and all my friends love it.  I hope I made enough for everyone.  I definitely need to grab more gift bags as Arianna had ripped one of them in their excitement.  I also bought little Minecraft-inspired keychains off Etsy to add for each kid.  Ethan has already picked his keychain out (a diamond sword).  I can't wait to see the faces of all the kids receiving their goodie bags!  

No comments: